This year I have started a new christmas tradition… making sugar cookies! Maybe it’s because I think I’ve mastered the best perfect, soft sugar cookie that keep shape when you bake them and taste SO GOOD !!!! AND…I made a vegan version as well and think they might even taste better. I can’t decide so I will let you be the judge…
- 3 cups of all propose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter / sub 1 cup coconut oil for vegan
- 2 eggs / sub half a banana for vegan
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 & 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
(only sub the two ingredients out for the vegan version and everything stays the same!)
how to make them:
- using a mixer- mix the sugar and the butter (or coconut oil). butter should be cold, NOT melted. Mix until combined and then add the almond extract, vanilla extract and eggs or banana if your making the vegan cookies
- in a separate bowl mix the flour and baking powder together and then add it the mixer to combine all ingredients.
- move the dough to parchment paper, roll it into a ball and place in the fridge for 10 minutes. meanwhile preheat oven to 350
- remove the dough and roll it out to be about 1/4″ thick. cut out your cute cookie shapes!
- transfer your cookies to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place them in the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
- after the freezer place in the oven for 7-9 minutes or until the cookies are slightly golden around the edges.
- let them cool for about 10-20 mins before decorating
- once the cookies are cool- they are ready to decorate and EAT!
I made mine for xmas so I used a tree cutter and made little bottle brush trees! I decorated using Wilton ‘cookie icing” and Wilton’s icing dye for the colors I wanted. Those can all be found at Jo-Anns or Michaels. I got the cute bottle brush design idea from my favorite blogger, Kailo Chic. And then added my favorite favorite FAVORITE sprinkles in the world Fancy Sprinkles in ‘smitten kitten’ because just look at them!! I like to think the white sprinkled cookies look exactly like me tree this year 🙂
happy cookie making and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!